Saturday, January 12, 2008

April 7, 2007




Grasonville, MD: Today is my birthday and I have had happy wishes from my family by phone and electronic greeting cards. What did we ever do before cell phones and internet? Laurie and Brian are headed off to camp for the night with the Begley cousins, and Julie Annie is at the beach with the King cousins.

I can hardly believe it... It snowed on April 7! Just about an inch fell during the night and covered the dock and boats with a thin layer of white powder. Someone from the Yacht Center came out and shoveled the decks off but snow still clung to the edges of ropes embracing the pilings and on tarps where the sun wasn’t reaching. Tom made delicious waffles for breakfast and we had the luxury of real maple syrup for them. Tom also gave me a new MP3 player with an FM tuner for having music on our bike rides. Now I need some time to load my tunes on it.

We had planned to go to St Michaels for lunch today, but our friend Lance from the marina came by and suggested that we not go because of the wind and the narrowness of the channel into St. Michaels. It was only 15 knots or so, but we decided that we are going to be pretty conservative about risks... at least until we have more personal experience with this boat. We do plan to leave tomorrow on our first leg home, waypoint Solomon’s Island. Since we were not going out, our salesman, Ron, loaned us a car so we could run into town. We bought a small flag pole for the bow and an American flag to fly. We got the one with the stars actually embroidered into the flag; seemed like we should have the real thing. We also bought a 9 x 9 baking pan and a box of brownie mix for me to bake for my birthday. I got the kind with chocolate chips and nuts (yum, yum) but I need more experience with my microwave, convection, grilling all-in-on oven. The brownies were baked on the bottom but grilled on the top. The good news is that the air circulation in the boat cleared up the smoke pretty quickly.

We ate dinner at the Fisherman’s Wharf and saw something unique. The lobby was filled with showcases of antique oyster plates – one that was patented in 1847. Who knew that the serving of oysters had such a legacy.

No comments: